Translational R&D Virology
San Diego, CA
The Research Scientist position will assume a leadership role supporting R&D virology and company pipeline objectives. This is a unique position that requires the understanding and application of both existing and new scientific methods and knowledge in accordance with GxP standards. The successful candidate will be responsible for the execution of scientific research experiments relating to animal model and immunological assays. Specific duties include working with technical staff to conduct in vivo experiments using animal models and immunological assays to support the development and assessment of replicating viruses and/or virus-like particles for preclinical product development against mosquito borne diseases. Experience with molecular biology techniques is a bonus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the goals of the Translational Research group and their relationship to strategic R&D and corporate goals and objectives. Develop personal goals and maintain strategies to meet such goals within set timeframes.
- With team members, plan collaborative research experiments requiring initiative and judgment within defined procedures and practices; exercise judgment and show initiative in making scientifically sound decisions.
- Work on problems of defined scope with minimal supervision. Identify, analyze, and interpret experimental results.
- Prepare written reports of scientifically/technically complex experiments. Present results to an audience with a diverse background.
- Conduct experiments and prepare written reports conforming to defined documentation practices in support of regulatory filings, internal company documents, and external company presentations.
- Participate in cross-functional project team meetings as an expert in your field, and with the support of the Translational Research Department, perform corresponding experiments as appropriate and needed.
- Comply with the company safety policies and minimize risk to self, others and the environment, consistent with the community and industry standards.
- Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Proven track record in animal models to assess immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine candidates
- Demonstrated potential to think independently, contribute to cross functional project teams, and problem solve.
- Technical expertise with immunological assays, both ex vivo and in vitro.
- Molecular biology techniques and reverse engineer of viruses a plus
- Flexible and cooperative spirit with strong commitment to team efforts. Expert and extensive knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories in cell biology, virology, and immunology
- Thorough understanding of concepts related to vaccine development against infectious diseases
- Extensive experience in Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and Good Clinical Practice (GCP) environments
- Excellent understanding of scientific methods and statistical analysis
- Ability to analyze complex data and come to valid scientific conclusions
- Ability to plan project tasks effectively, keep to timeline and prioritize
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills as evidenced by published literature and/or presentation of scientific data.
- Enjoys working in a fast paced dynamic environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
- PhD in a scientific discipline with minimum of 4 years’ experience
- MS with 6 years’ experience in a research environment
- BS with 10 years of relevant experience in a research environment with demonstrated scientific skill sets