San Diego, CA
The Research Intern assists the scientific staff in carrying out research assignments involving a variety of laboratory methods, equipment and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Executes bench experiments carefully and precisely
- Makes detailed observations as experiments are conducted and reports data accurately and effectively
- Maintains complete and accurate records of all work done in the laboratory
- Performs a wide variety of tasks in the laboratory, including: maintaining adherent cell lines, plasmid DNA preps, ligation, PCR, and DNA digestion
- Monitors work to ensure quality
- Records inventory changes as supplies and reagents are used
- Presents and discusses results of experiments within department and project team
- Analyzes data and interprets results
- Prepares technical reports, summaries and protocols
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Basic understanding of cellular biology, molecular biology and virology
- Able to learn new skills quickly
- Basic knowledge of laboratory procedures, established techniques, instruments and equipment.
- Basic understanding of Universal Precautions and Basic Lab safety
- Able to repeat a procedure in the laboratory multiple times in exactly the same way
- Works well in a team environment
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent organizational skills and critical-thinking skills
- Skilled with use of word processing, spreadsheets, graphical and presentation software applications
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
- High school degree and a minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a biology laboratory